Pages

Monday, February 4, 2013

Falling Asleep Eating Nachos

I managed to suffer through the holiday and get my feeding tube replaced. What I didn't explain very well that during the July month I was having a big problem with my left eye. At the beginning of the month my left side was pretty swollen especially near my left eye. After my last hospital stay it went down, but I had trouble opening my eye, it was weak and tired and I started to see double vision if I opened that eye. Since I wasn't opening the eye very much I had almost trained myself how to see with one eye. I had gone to some appointments for my eye, and luckily they told me it should heal on its own. I finally decided that it was time to try using that eye even if I saw double vision. After using it frequently for the next couple of days the double vision corrected itself, maybe there wasn't a problem the whole time.
In the beginning of August I had a real hard time with my saliva, it seemed as if it was getting worse, it would get stuck in my throat and I had no choice but to puke it out. I had a lot of pain going on because I was still trying to heal. It really took a lot of time to heal and recover, and because I was puking most days I would get very dehydrated so every week I had a nurse come into my home and clean my port to be used again. Since I was so sick and also so nauseated I didn't know if I could do my scans that were scheduled for the 10th. As I was in the parking lot I was confident I was going to make it and keeping my spirits up until I could tell I was going to pass out from walking too fast. Right outside of the building I puked once again, that's when I knew I was never going to make it through my scans. I had to cancel my MRI that day and rescheduled it for the next monday. I still had to go through with my PET scan because they already had everything waiting for me and this scan is very expensive so I really didn't have much of a choice. I was relieved though when they gave me the good IV fluid for my stomach. within almost ten minutes I didn't feel like puking and I was very calm. I finished my pet scan and on the 13th I continued with my MRI.
On the 16th when I was due to change my port and get it flushed I had a new supervisor come in and let me tell you, I did not care for her, she smelled of smoke and I felt like she really didn't know what she was doing. She practically was on top of my while flushing my port! Apparently she stabbed me numerous of time just trying to get it in and it was clearly visible as to where it goes but she missed, not only that when she missed she was going deeper in trying to find the area. I didn't scream because I didn't want her to freak out, but I was sweating bullets and clenching my teeth in pain. When she finally got it done I was so relieved for her to be gone, that was the last time I had my port changed from her.
A week later I was still trying food little by little and my mom had made nachos, but I was feeling some pain still and she told me to try and swallow some liquid tylenol since I was doing a little better swallowing. I thought that seems easy enough right? Well I took it before I ate and when I was in the middle of eating I was starting to feel really drowsy, it felt familiar. I knew this feeling and it was only caused by taking benadryl, I asked my mom if she had given me benadryl instead of tylenol on accident. She looked confused and went to check the bottle, that's when I knew I was right. I could tell she felt bad, but all I could do was laugh. I'll never forget that night. To this day I still give her crap about how she gave me benadryl instead of tylenol.

No comments:

Post a Comment