Pages

Sunday, April 28, 2013

The Doctor Who Wouldn't Look Me In The Eye

Before I moved back to good old Utah I had a couple other experiences I need to write about. For example, watching the show Parenthood. I have never had an interest in watching this depressing show, until I saw one episode out of the blue. I never understand why people watch such depressing shows where everyone’s lives are spiraling down and never seem to come back up.
As I was watching this show one of the characters was a woman finding out she had cancer. That’s what peeked my interest, not that I like to think about my cancer cause it doesn’t always make me exactly chipper, but the fact that I am seeing someone understand a little of what I have been through. Whenever I hear about someone facing cancer my attention is centered on them and the facts that are shared. Every episode I watched I wept with the character, because it felt so real, all my emotions were coming back and I was asked continuously why I would torture myself with this. I started watching this show almost religiously, it stole my attention and I couldn’t get over reliving my emotions, this is when I knew how much  I loved to share about my experiences with cancer, I love being asked questions about it and sharing my insight.
Most people that come up to me apologize and ask if they are being rude before they ask me questions about it. I am here to tell you that I love the questions and love talking about my cancer. It might have been something to tear me down, but now it’s something I have overcome and something I am very passionately proud of.
On to my next experience in Vegas, I was scheduled to have my doctor’s appointment in November, but wasn’t due for my scans until January. I was expecting some superb doctor like I had in Utah, but for me he wasn’t. I was a bit skeptical about this doctor. He was a nice enough man, but if a doctor can’t look you in the eye when he is talking to you we certainly have a problem. Whenever he talked to me he was either looking at the floor or/and squinting. Whenever I asked him a question he took nearly ten minutes to explain a simple answer. I’m sure he is a very good smart doctor, but he certainly doesn’t have what it takes to deal with patients.
Going to Vegas for appointments is a nightmare, they won’t answer their phones when you call and when you leave a message you expect them to at least call you back within that day or at all, not in Vegas. This is one of my many reasons why I wouldn’t go to Vegas for a doctor’s appointment. Another reason was something they post in their rooms so they are clear to read for their patients. (Picture) They are taking advantage of cancer patients! This is so wrong, like we don’t have enough problems now they are charging us up to $20 for a letter. This would affect me dearly since I was filling out some scholarship applications and they all include a personalized letter from the doctor. I understand we are taking a little time out of your busy schedule, but we you make more than enough for your work and this is part of your job. Luckily I got all my personalized letters in Utah which I got for free.

No comments:

Post a Comment